These my micropostings and bookmarks – August 4th through August 25th:
I was really honoured to be asked to keynote at Econsultancy’s 2009 FODM in June 2009. I’d spoken before and found the audience to be tough but receptive. It’s one of the more difficult speaking gigs of the year, I find, and there’s always a pressure to perform well (and Ashley commenting that there’s “no pressure” of course just makes it worse… 😉 ). At least this year he didn’t promise I’d be “funny” (a throwaway remark that gave me my first night of lost sleep in 10 years as I imagined that I’d been forced to perform a standup routine at the Comedy Club without a script! Wah).
Anyway, the event was held at the rather spectacular Congress Hall and upon entering I realised both that is was a great presentation venue, and that 350 marketers is quite some audience 😉
There were some spectacular and energetic speakers (Jonathan MacDonald in particular), and two sessions that interested me in particular on digital publishing and ecommerce in retail.
The presentation went well and I used the time to reprise themes from previous FODM presentations, wander into the realms of Augmented Reality, build on some KPI discussions I’d been having with Michael “KPI” Ross and finally introduce the “Obama-Preedy Pricing Principle” (the result of a beer-supported discussion with Tony Preedy on how discounts and promotions should be related to a specific place, time and – increasingly – appropriate behaviours). Maybe it should have been the Pavlov-Preedy Principle??
You can see all of the presentations on the Econsultancy page (you need to be a subscriber), or you can see my presentation via the Slideshare link:
These my micropostings and bookmarks – July 12th through August 1st:
- House of Fraser directors to join Crombie | News | Retail Week – House of Fraser directors June Lawlor and Colin Porter are to leave the department store to join menswear brand Crombie in September.
June Lawlor, who was director of womenswear, accessories and beauty at House of Fraser, and Colin Porter, who was commercial director at the department store, will join Crombie as joint managing directors.
The duo plan to revamp the brand, focusing on its heritage and on producing classics with a twist. They also plan to expand Crombie’s network of standalone stores, concessions and its website.
- Songbird – Open Source Music Player – iTunes alternative that – w00t – plays FLAC (lossless audio format) files. Will play at high definition (24bit/96Mhz) and so with an external DAC makes your mac the storage and source "heart" of a digital uber-hifi system.
- Blue Circle Audio, Inc. – The USB Thingee HO – DAC and pre-amp. Rave reviews, characterful (unique) construction and a fifth of the price of the Benchmark DAC 1 PRE…
Now, where do I get one of these in the UK?
- GoodSound! Equipment Review – Benchmark DAC1 Pre Digital-to-Analog Converter and Preamplifier (2/2009) – Wishlist… wish wish wish
- X Lossless Decoder (XLD): How to create flawless CD rips on Mac OS X :: What.CD – Setting/tutorial for the XLD ripper for OSX that creates FLAC files.
What makes a good logo?
Leaving aside my antipathy to tooth-rotting schmaltzwasser, this is a great timeline of competitive head-to-head logo change.
From http://justcreativedesign.com and via @peterabraham